Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bye, Bye, Birdie

In the morn of June 15th, Monday, as I hustled up the dizzying spiral staircase for my daily visitation to the roof deck, what greeted me left me with some deep loss and longing for two feathered cuties which had for the past three weeks tugged at the brittle strings of my jaded and cynical self.

An empty nest stared back at me, this time riddled with a horde of tiny black ants feasting on the former occupants’ unconsumed food and dried-up droppings. A shiny little egg sat solitarily in the middle of the chaotic frenzy, looking like the dud that it probably was and simply left behind by the laying bird.

So in summary, in the short span of less than 3 weeks, eggs were hatched and the issues developed sufficiently enough within that time frame to fly from the coop and be on their own.

Comparatively, humans take what seems like a lifetime to develop sufficiently enough to be able to live independently - without their parents’ assistance.

A little lesson of life learned.

Then in an ironic twist my regular Internet incursions accidentally brought me to this YouTube item:


A dead gecko attacked by a rampaging horde of ants reducing the carcass to a skeleton, using time-lapse camera.

Another little lesson learned, this time in the cycle of life.

2 comments:

  1. Nice progression post. I wish I'd caught you earlier and I would have asked you to put a known object in a shot for size perspective, perhaps a pencil or something. These are definitely the maya pula, the ex national bird. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil:

    I still on occasion visit the nest, which I am sad to report is starting to look bad.

    But I now begin to see mayas in our subdivision, some three kilometers away from here.

    But still no ricefields in sight.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome. Your comments are appreciated.